Friday, March 19, 2010

True Confessions of a Sappy Housing Worker

Confession: I am in love with my client’s dog.

It got dumped on him by his brother. He is doing his best to care for it, but really has no experience looking after a dog. It appears to be some kind of Sheppard-X, and is about 1 year old, so he’s a good size.

This dog is crying out for structure and attention! When I walk in the door, he doesn’t jump on me, which apparently he does to everyone else. He listens if I give him commands, and while I visit with my client the dog curls around behind me on the couch with his head in my lap.

I know for a lot of my co-workers, they would consider this a workplace hazard, and likely would not meet the client in his apartment while the dog is there, but I love it. He has big, wet, sad looking eyes…

Is this crossing some kind of boundary? I am usually very good at enforcing limits and not forming emotional attachments in my work but I seriously want to take this puppy home with me! Apparently the brother keeps saying he is coming back for the dog when he “gets his new place” or when he “gets the right kind of transportation”. I’ll believe that when I see it. In the meantime, I will collect all the snuggles I can while trying to concentrate on what my client is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment